The Malaysian Insider
Data communication logs on missing flight MH370, released by the Department of Civil Aviation (DCA) in Kuala Lumpur on May 27. Families affected by the flight’s disappearance today urged Putrajaya to release its full cargo manifest. – AFP file pic, October 23, 2014.
The families of passengers and crew members of missing Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 today called on Putrajaya to release the full cargo manifest and questioned the authorities’ delay in making the disclosure.
Voice370, which represents the families of those aboard the missing aircraft, said in a statement that the cargo manifest was only released on May 1, although MH370 had gone missing on March 8.
“Even after a two-month delay, the cargo manifest released by Putrajaya was incomplete,” the group said, adding there were missing gaps in the document.
“A case in point is the disclosure by British satellite company Inmarsat during a UK Royal Society event recently,” Voice370 said.
Inmarsat claimed that they had handed over complete data logs to Putrajaya, which had then released selected data and withheld the rest.
Voice370 urged Putrajaya to make a full release of all items carried on board MH370 and state clearly what was in the cargo hold.
“We only know that there was 4,566kg of mangosteens shipped by Poh Seng Kian and a consignment of lithium batteries.”
The group pointed out that NNR Logistic’s shipment of 2,453kg of cargo included 221kg of lithium ion batteries.
The remaining 2,232kg were simply declared as radio accessories and chargers, which reports indicated could be consignment for Motorola.
From the preliminary MH370 report, Voice370 said it could be deduced that other forwarders had consolidated shipments.
These included Kerry Logistics (2,250kg), Kintetsu Express (646kg), Panalpina (26 + 6kg) and Malaysian Express (6kg).
Voice370 demanded Putrajaya make public detailed contents and quantities of cargo in each of the consolidated airway bills.
“We also want to know the load instruction sheet to see how the cargo holds were loaded,” the group said.
“At this juncture, the release of this information cannot in anyway change what had already transpired aboard MH370 nor alter the fate of this aircraft and our loved ones.
“Therefore we strongly believe that the continued withholding of this detailed information has no basis unless there actually is a conspiracy to hide information from the public domain.
“After more than seven months of agony, we do not want to be further tortured by the uncertainties surrounding the disappearance of MH370.”
Flight MH370 left Kuala Lumpur International Airport for Beijing on March 8 with 227 passengers and 13 crew members.
However, it dropped off the radar about an hour after take-off, and has not been seen since despite the largest search and rescue operation in aviation history.
Yesterday, Defence Minister Datuk Seri Hishammuddin Hussein (pic) said he was 99.9% optimistic of finding the missing airliner.
“If based on the technology that we are using and whether we are looking at the right place, then we are talking about 99.9% optimistic,” Hishammuddin was quoted saying in The Star, after launching the GO Phoenix Vessel and sophisticated underwater search equipment called the ProSAS towed side scan sonar at Freemantle Port, Perth.
“However, that is not an answer that says we are definitely going to find it as the ocean is huge. The aircraft is minuscule compared with the vast ocean,” he told a press conference.
The GO Phoenix Vessel and the sonar are a Malaysian government contracted vessel funded by Petronas.
Hishammuddin said victims of flight MH370 would not be forgotten, saying “all that could be done to find the aircraft had been done thus far”. – October 23, 2014.