Something is expected to happen very soon on the story of the ill-fated Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17 shot down over eastern Ukraine.
KUALA LUMPUR: A German detective, Josef Resch, has been quoted as saying by the UK-based International Business Times that a whistleblower who had information on the ill-fated Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17 has collected a reward of USD47 million.
Resch confirmed that his client had paid the entire amount to the anonymous source. The bounty is considered to be one of the largest in history. The United States offered around USD25 million for information about Al Qaeda mastermind Osama bin Laden.
He told Germany’s Capital magazine: “Our clients have got all the information they wanted to get, so my job is finished.”
“I expect something will happen very soon. Anyone who pays that kind of money for information does not keep it to himself.”
The aircraft crashed in eastern Ukraine on July 17 last year with 298 people on board, four months after Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 went missing on March 8 on a routine Kuala Lumpur to Beijing flight.
Al Arabiya reported that the anonymous source revealed that pro-Russian forces had shot Flight MH17 with a missile in Ukraine. It also reported that the source told the German investigator that the separatists had mistaken the flight for a military aircraft.
Resch, head of Wifka, the company investigating the crash, has refused to name his source, however. Nor has he revealed the exact information the source provided. According to the German private investigator, a mysterious client hired him in 2014 to find out the truth behind the crash.
Resch said he would not be able to reveal the information provided by the source because he was restricted by a non disclosure agreement. He also said that he was unaware of the identity of his client. According to him, the dealing was done through a Swiss agent.
“Our clients have got the information they wanted to get, so my job is finished,” the Telegraph quoted the detective as saying. “I have a request: that my client makes the information public.” Nevertheless, he added that he feared that the information might never be made public as the situation would be “handled internally.”
While Western nations have strongly claimed that pro-Russian forces shot the flight with a BUK surface-to-air missile, there has not been any conclusive evidence to support that.
According to the Kremlin, it was the Ukrainian military that shot down the Boeing passenger jet carrying 298 people.